Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Visitors and Residents


Watch the following video: Visitors and Residents by Dr. White (Linked below) and then write a blog post reflecting on where you are in this continuum and how you see your future on the Internet. Please share on Twitter with the appropriate hashtag(s) and comment on your peers' posts as well.
 http://tallblog.conted.ox.ac.uk/index.php/2009/10/14/visitors-residents-the-video/

After watching this video, I would have to consider myself a resident of the internet when it comes to my personal life. For example, I have a Facebook, Pintrest, and Instagram account.  I tend to check these on a daily basis to communicate with friends and keep up to date with the social aspects going on. Very rarely do I use it for professional growth. However, when I consider the Internet as a professional tool, I would have to say I am a visitor. I do have an Edmodo and Weebly blog but I only use it for homework assignments. For example, I only make a blog post when I am given a prompt for school. At this moment, I still consider myself at the beginning stages of my educational career and a private person. Thus, posting my thoughts about education, or anything in general, is a new experience that I am still trying to get use to. I know there can be many benefits from interacting with other educators online but I think it is going to take some time to know what online tools best help my PLN.

I have recently created a Twitter account and started “following” people. I have looked at some of the things they have posted and can say that I have found great resources. As a future math educator, I am really interested seeing what kind of resources I can find on the Internet to better help my students understand math. I am aware that this is one of the areas that students struggle with the most. Thus, I am willing to put in the work outside of class to make a better learning environment and experience. I hope to do this too with my Blogger account.

Overall, the Internet is something that I am still learning about. I plan to keep my personal life as a visitor and my professional life on the resident side. Though it might take me time to find Internet tools that work for me and my areas of interest, I plan to make this a great learning process. 

4 comments:

  1. Griselda, I completely understand how you feel about being a visitor with regard to the institutional realm of technology. I feel pulled in both directions because on the one hand, I love to use Twitter and other technology sources to communicate with other professionals, but when it comes to blogging, I only use it when I do homework assignments. I have yet to learn about how to be a resident when it comes to using this type of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Griselda, this is also my first time following people on twitter. I'm still trying to figure out how to focus my search so that I am not overwhelmed with other 'stuff' and hope to find resources and ideas that can help me as an elementary school educator. I think it's great that you are so committed to learning about internet tools and how they can help you as you grow as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! Twitter can be both good an bad for the advancement of education. It can be a community of practice or interest, either way, information is spreading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me realize that an important aspect of blogging and being a resident is the recognition that you have no control over who views the content you produce online and thus the standards are almost more rigid than in other contexts.

    ReplyDelete