Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

AR Update

I have started to collect data for the first phase of my AR and I can honestly say I feel a bit overwhelmed. I know my AR question, "How can encouraging student written reflection on mathematics strengthen students mathematical understanding?",  but now that I actually have the data, I am scared that when looking at it I may miss something or that it is not enough to "answer" my AR question. In other words, even after reading this The Power of Questions chapter on Data Analysis, I am still a bit nervous at how I look at my data. I would hope that this is a normal feeling for all first time AR students. 

However, I will admit that after reading this chapter I did walk away with a few ideas. One of the new ideas I will implement is taking notes of my data.  Since I am reading student reflections on mathematics, I am thinking some themes may come up on the extent of their reflections. One adjustment I will attempt to do is play with my data. The reason for this is that (like I said previously) I am scared that the data I collect will not give me any “answers” to my AR question. I would rather start on having more to "things" to write about than analysis a few things. (my feelings might change once I actually sit down with my data).


Overall I think I am just anxious to see if my data reveal anything about my AR question. I guess its a matter of just sitting down with it and truly analyzing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment